View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 1992 BMW 325 IS
Unhappy electrical problems

i have a 1992 325is and it started with the same problems doug is facing... check said "tail light failure" sunroof and windows stopped working and when i replaced the fuse it blew immediately, also the clock and date in the console would go out intermittently... i figured, the car is 13 years old its going to have quirky problems like this, however.... after of few months of annoying electrical problems it culminated in a failure of headlights, taillights, brake lights, windows, sunroof, all gauges, and power locks.... and i knew it was more than a fuse problem because there was obviously waaaay too much ampage which caused fuses to blow as soon as i put them in.... long story short, when i applied the brakes i noticed a little smoke coming in through the vents that smelled like burning plastic, so after looking at the wires under the steering wheel it was evident that the plastic coating of the wires leading to the fuse box had melted away and the wires were touching causing major shorts. there is obviously a huge ampage problem that is causing major shorts but after 2 weeks in the shop and $1500 theres no end in sight yet, so doug id suggest you get this checked out before you need an entire electrical overhaul.

goodluck
erin