View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Need for Speed

Mein Auto: BMW
M5: 2006 SMG or 2007 6-speed

I'm conducting a survey here to see what everyone thinks about ordering an M5. I've been wanting a new M5 since I saw the first one roll into the local dealer last month. However, I'm divided between an '06 with the SMG or wait for the '07 with the 6-speed manual. Interestingly, the 6-speed has a longer wait list at a dealer. Seems that there are many die hards who still want to wrap their palms around a shifter knob while driving.

I've driven the M3 with an SMG at the BMW Nuerburgring school and agree that this setup is great for the track and eliminates missed gears for the wanna be Speedracers. On the other hand, the Gen 2 SMG causes serious whiplash at the track under the fastest shifting conditions. I sense that the M5's new SMG will shift differently and softer from the M3's SMG due to the weight of the vehicle an a few extra gears at the top end.

Question:
Would you buy the M5 with an SMG gearbox like the Bavarians intended from Day 1, or would you opt for the 6-speed version for us sporty Americans?

Last edited by BMW Fahrer; 11-29-2005 at 08:17 PM.
Advertisement