View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 06:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Blitz
Nice story and undoubtedly true, but by your admission all you did was outspend the guys in the M5s and M6s in the suspension and performance goodies department, and apparently were a better driver to boot. But logically speaking, if you swapped cars you would then be spanking the guy with the Bavaria with your M5 or M6. So you see, it had little to do with the car and all to do you with you.

BTW, my M6 is indeed perfectly balanced and I know exactly what to do with it at the track. I doubt a lowly Bavaria would get anywhere near me.
Well, I could turn 1:32's around Summit Point in the Bav on late 80's A-008R tires which is still a pretty decent time today...the only way an M6 could get close to those times is with suspension work, especially a lot more negative camber up front, and a bit of engine work too. A stock M6 wouldn't have a chance. The Bav would just power away from them on the straights back then. Swapping cars wouldn't have helped that part, and unless the M6 had suspension mods, it wouldn't help to swap in the corners either. One thing the Bav had going for it was a 400+ pound weight advantage which is very hard to make up.

Anyway, those years are long past, and the E39 M5 is a lot more fun, especially with my mods on it.

The point is that the Bavaria was an incredible platform given it was designed in the late 60's just like the E24/E28 is an outstanding platform too. I've got a long history with E28's too. There is suprisingly a lot in common between the two platforms too.
2006 330i ZSP 6MT
2001 Audi S4 6MT
1996 Volvo 850R wagon