View Single Post
Old 02-27-2006, 03:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00 E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinaB10UK
In the UK, we call any engine with 6 cylinders a V6 and eight cylinders V8 but we dont call engines with 4 cylinders V4!!

Just to confuse you!! Yep, We actually call the V6 cylinder engine straight 6 rather than inline
No we don't, I don't know why you call all 6 cylinder engines V6s. Nobody in the UK I know calls them like that. A V6 is different than an I6.

A V engine is a V, ie V8, two banks of cylinders running besides each other, an inline engine we call a straight, ie straight 6, cylinders one after the other in one bank. We don't refer to 4 cylinder models as anything; this is the most common engine in the UK. We just say 2 litre engine or 1.6 litre engine.

The W12 engine from VW or Audi does not show up in the UK very often, if at all. Most people in the UK do not know of a W engine. I have only heard people refer to it as a W engine.

We refer to rotary engines as rotary, some call them wankles.

We don't get any other engine types showing up very often in the UK, except maybe military vehicles.

Funny thing is, most British people have never seen a V engine in their life!! We only really have inline 4, almost all cars in the UK are front wheel drive as well. A V8 is a very very rare engine in the UK, also anything above 2.5 litre is rare, except a few diesels and sports cars.

Sweet car by the way, I love the B10. Fantastic car to drive.

2008 535D M Sport, Azurite Black with Light Cream leather and Piano Black trim. Almost all options.

2008 X6 35d, Vermillion Red with Oyster leather with light wood trim. Dynamic pack with most options.

Retired

2006 Z4 M Roadster, Imola Red with Black interior. Fully loaded.

2005 X5 Sport, Estoril Blue with Black leather. Fully loaded.