View Single Post
Old 03-03-2006, 05:47 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: '07 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdCar
I have ordered 650 conv and have another week to finalize any changes. Been driving a Honda S2000 6 speed and really wrestling with 6 speed vs. SMG. Unfortunately only been able to test drive a 5 with SMG around the dealer's test loop. Previous 6 speeds who moved to SMG, would appreciate your candid comments.

Hi,
I'm from NOVA and just ordered a 650 coupe four days ago. How long do I have to make changes do you think?

Now to answer your question. I have an SMG II M3. I opted for the STEP in the 650. Few rambling reasons: The SMG isn't the same. Both paddles up shift and downshift the tranny. That differs from the SMG II or III systems where the left paddle downshifts and the right paddle upshifts. I didn't want the hassle of relearning.
Really looked over the STEP tranny. It's an awesome tranny that better suits the 650 in my view. Had it been available with SMG III I MAY have gone that way.

You also save $1,300 in gas guzzler fees with the STEP and don't have to worry about some bonehead valet not being able to drive it. I rarely valet park, but two or three times a year I've been forced to. Additionally, at work our parking attendants sometimes over book, so I've had to leave it with them briefly.

This is an auto car for 95% of America. You'd better lease it if you go SMG or your going to get hammered on resale.