View Single Post
Old 03-18-2006, 10:48 PM
Stimulus Package

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
Okay, today's update, in a slightly more serious tone: I took out my intake muffler. My intent with this and the K&N filter was to emulate a CAI, without spending $500+, by removing the two main flow restrictions in the stock intake.

I've seen this discussed a few times before, but no one bothered to take any pics. So, I did. This is a very simple mod, and all you need is a flat head screwdriver and a metric socket set. It took me about 15 minutes and would probably have taken half that if my 5-year-old hadn't insisted on helping me.

I take no responsibility for what this may do to your car--it's an experiment on my part, though I can't see how it could do much harm since the whole kit and kaboodle comes out if you install a CAI.

The photos:

1) This is easier if you take out your air filter (the intake muffler actually protrudes into the air box). All you have to do here is take out the air box. First remove the indicated bolt (in the photo, it's out already).

2) Loosen the screw holding the clamp at the base of the air box.

3) Carefully pull the air box up out of the clamp you just loosened. It may take a few tries to get it out. It's not necessary to disconnect the MAF. The intake muffler is the horn-looking thing sticking out of the bottom of the air box. It's held in place by a couple of clips (red circle; there's one on the other side). Poke them in with the head of the screwdriver (but gently--too hard and you'll break them like I did with one side ) and slide it out.

4) The intake muffler out of the box.

Then just put everything back the way it came out. The air box is much easier to get back into place with the muffler out.

Does it make a difference? Yeah. Not a big one, but I noticed definite increase in engine response and volume. I've been told it may improve your gas mileage, so I reset my OBC to see what effect it has.

Next up is the shadowline trip tape, when it arrives.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMD1.jpg
Views:	3020
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	70897   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMD2.jpg
Views:	3019
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	70898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMD3.jpg
Views:	3123
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	70899   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMD4.jpg
Views:	3338
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	70900  
2002 530i | Black/sand | Rondell Style 81s: 18x8.5 Front 18x10 Rear | Koni FSD | Eibach Pro-Kit | Zimmerman X-Drilled Rotors | Axxis Deluxe+ Brake Pads | StopTech SS Brake Lines | 50w 6000k Xenon Lows/LED Fogs/Phillips Luxeon LED DRLs | Angel i Brights v3.0 | Solaris Invisibulbs | Shadowline Trim | ///M5 Trunk Lip Spoiler | 35% Madico Tint | Dynavin D99+ ///M3Evolution | Backup camera | Intake Muffler, Front Plate, Badge & Cup/Coinholder Delete | Klasse AIO+SG

Last edited by Elvis530i; 03-19-2006 at 12:07 AM.