View Single Post
Old 03-23-2006, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: 06 750Li, 06 M5, 05 645ci
Different Aproach to Ipod Installation

This is a modified version of a post I did in another board:

I have an '05 645ci in which I had the XM Commander installed on the ceiling, just in front of the mirror. It looks like a manufacturer's option, Tweeter did a superb job in moulding a replacenent plastic part to install the XM commander. The XM Commander audio was routed through the Auxiliary Audio Input. Some time later I added an Ipod using an FM transmitter, but I was not too hapy with the quality of the sound. About a month ago I had a Harmnann-Kardon Drive+Play to control the Ipod. The Harman-Kardon also has an auxiliary audio iput. So both the XM Transmitter and the Ipod audio are now routed via the Harman-Kardon to the BMW Auxiliary Audio input. Both the XM satellite radio and the Ipod sound great.

A piece of advice: do not use a "Y" connector to route two diferrent audio components to the BMW Auxiliary Audio Input, it will distort the signal of both components. Even if your car do not have the Satellite Radio Prep and you want both Satellite Radio and an ipod (or other playes)I recommend a set-up similar to mine, using the Harman-Kardon Drive+Play.

I have a different installation in my '06 M5. In this car I have a factory installed Sirius (so I can use the IDrive to control the Sat Radio, and an Ipod using the Drive+Play and the BMW auxiliary audio input for the Ipod. The Harman-Kardon Drive+Play has two components, a screen that displays the same information as the Ipod screen; and a controler that looks like a mini IDrive to change palylists, slect songs, etc. Both these components were mounted on a cellular telephone base that Bavarian Autosports sells for about $90. It matches teh color of my upholstery. A clean, good looking installation. Bavarian Autosports has pictures of this type of installation both in their catalog and web page.

I have no connection whatsoever to Bavarian Autosports or Harman-Kardon, I am just a satisfied customer because these two products resulted in a professional installation in my BMWs and made the Ipod much easier to use while I drive.
'03 325i Dinan Stage 2 Mods, M3 wheels
'01 325i