04-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Join Date: Feb 2004
Mein Auto: 04 M3 Coupe SMG
1. SMG vs MT. Some people hate SMG but I think that's because they simply don't know how to drive it. MT (at least stock) is too rubbery, too long of a throw. Don't think it breaks more often (it's the same transmission as MT) and have no idea about clutches. Probably depends on how you drive it, just like a MT. Some people never need it replaced, others every 50K.
Originally Posted by ase2dais
as Im finding more about used M3 sale prices, i like to know M3 owners opinion as to what are the
1. pros and cons between owning a SMG vs. MT
(heard SMG breaks ez and clutches are more often need replaced)
2. pros and cons between owning a Coupe vs. Cabrio.
3. which do you think has better resale value SMG or MT
4. resale value coupe or Cabrio
5. easier in maintenance SMG or MT
6. would you refer an earlier model with lower mileage car or a later model with ave/hi mileage, both comparable in price, well kept and maintained?
any personal information is helpful !
2. Cabrio is heavier. compromised body structure. No real downsides really but on a sportscar you don't want more weight than needed.
3. probably won't matter. The smg is a 2500 option, that should somewhat reflect in the resale.
4. Are you buying the car for resale or to drive it ? If you are worried about resale you should buy a used corolla and drive it forever.
5. probably not much difference. Remember, it's the same transmission. They just replaced the manual clutch with an automatic clutch, and the shifting is done for you (ie no 'direct' link between the shifter/paddles and the trans.)
All depends on the history. If you can find a very well maintained older model you should get it. My experience was that the people trying to sell the older models are not that far off in price from the newer models. There haven't been that many changes over time. Some cosmetic, and the biggest one has probably been the navigation going from cd based to dvd based.
It's a great car. Don't worry about resale, riding it will more than make up for it. The grin from ear to ear every time you get out is more than worth it.
04 BMW M3 Coupe SMG-II Carbon Black