View Single Post
Old 04-07-2006, 07:45 PM
///M forum moderator

Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJGM3
Look, I'm not going to get into that the "Opinion or fact" with you as I've qualified what I've said in this thread. My reference was made regarding the new design of the 5 series and how that affected marketshare/sales, and a part of an analogy to the new design of the potential M3. The point being in the earlier part of the thread that BMW wasn't "stupid" and maybe/maybe not having learned from the design issues (e.g., granny glasses headlights, etc.). Regarding "stated opinion" versus your so-called "fact", you can quote what you want. My reference wasn't just internet stuff, I was basing my comments on my opinion and that of many others who don't like the design, but regarding the 5-series and drop of sales, I would hardly call the Wall Street Journal reporting on this as pure speculation or "opinion". If you like the E39 that's fine, I've never been inclined to own either a E39 or a E60. For sedans I'll take a Benz or Audi.

I have shown it hasn't affected market share and sales...to the contrary sales are up over the outgoing E39. BMW probably did change the design of the E90 slightly to avoid the negative publicity the E60 received. But you know what? The public realy didn't care and are buying the E60 in record numbers.

The WSJ story is sensationalized story based on the opinions lunatic fringe (which I am a member, but I don't agree with the conventional wisdom of said lunatic fringe). The facts are sales are up. Period. End of story. The death of the 5 series was premature and a media sensationalized event to drum up sales of their paper/magaine/whatever...in no way was it based on facts.

You are just wrong in this case