View Single Post
Old 04-15-2006, 09:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Skype™ to DBU
Mein Auto: A rare Mystic Blue 530
It may depend on the model

When you buy a used car, you always have to wonder how it was treated before you got it. I know, with BMW's free maintenance, chances are that routine maintenance was taken care of. But how was it driven? This is a big concern for a lot of people. There was a thread on this board where someone asked whether "11 miles was too many for a new car?"
If you are buying a 3-er, it was likely owned by a 20-something punk who had his first experience with the ultimate driving machine.
A 5-series was likely owned by a more mature (40-something?) family man who is less likely to trash his car while it is full of kids and the wife...
A 7-series was likely owned by a middle aged gentleman who never realised that the car had a kick-down switch.
So, the higher up on the model scale you get, you better the chance that the car has been driven "moderately."
Then of course, there are the M-types. You KNOW those cars have been driven hard, who else would you own a 500 HP V-10? The previous owner may even have tracked it regularly. I would never consider buying a used M.
The above is obviously a broad generalisation, and I hope I didn't offend anyone.
My purchase decision was based on ED, both the price savings (12% off MSRP) and the convenience of having your own car during a driving vacation of Europe. I was born within one days drive of Munich and wanted to visit the "old country" again.
I profess to not understanding the ins and outs of leasing -- in fact I have never made regular car payments in my 40 years of motoring (lots of company cars). I am no longer on the company car (a.k.a. must be American made appliance ) plan and have a little money to buy what I actually have been wanting to drive for decades
Munich Pick Up: 6/22/06 -- Dingolfing: 6/23/06 -- Drop Off: 7/12/06 -- Aboard M/V "Green Point" with ETA Port Hueneme 8/16/06 - Redelivery: 9/1/06 - De-badged 1/1/07

Hers: 2007 X3 3.0Si