Thread: Satellite Radio
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2006, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 745Li TitanSilv/Blk
*Reasonable* Solution for XM in '02 and early '03 E65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdecesare
I am new to BMW and to this Forum, so be easy on me.

I purchased a 2003 745 LI and would like to add Sirius or XM Satellite raido and can not find an aftermarket interface. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
This is a *reasonable* solution that I'm happy with so far. The installer put the new XM SportsCaster unit (approx. $60) in the bottom drawer of the console. He drilled a hole in the back of the drawer about the size of a nickel and fed the power and antenna wires through it. The drawer is perfectly functional--you can leave the drawer open if you want to be able to change the stations and access the buttons or you can choose a station and close the drawer (leaving the unit completely out of sight!). The unit comes with its own remote control. The unit has built-in FM modulation that works well in my area. See XM's website for details on the unit. [See pictures of installation below.]

For the antenna solution--don't laugh--I purchased a basic stainless steel shower drain (approx. $4) and painted it flat black (approx. $1). (The magnetic antenna needed metal surface for reception.) I affixed some of those rubbery pads, meant to hold things like cell phones and PDAs on the dash of your car, to the bottom of the metal and just laid it in the back window. From the outside of the car, it is barely even visible, because it is black and is sitting on black leather. The installer ran the wire out of sight (I believe in the door facing) to the back of the drawer to connect to the XM unit. [See pictures of installation below.]

Again, I think it's a reasonable solution!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XM in Drawer.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	75878   Click image for larger version

Name:	XM_Antenna.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	75879