Thread: E46 vs E90
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2006, 07:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
f) The car feels limp and flaccid in tight, urban situations, unlike the E46, which was more easily manoeuvred and did not feel at all out of its depth on backroad blasts.
I've found no such thing with the E90 sport package 330i with 6MT. I have both that and an E46 330i 6MT with ZHP package (and of course the M5 and 850R). The E90 with this setup is very similar to the ZHP on turn-in (not quite as radical which in some situation is a good thing), and the E90 is almost every bit as much fun as the ZHP when you are kicking tail with the car. The E46 ZHP is definitely rawer, louder, structure feels less stiff than E90 (it is), etc. The E90 steering communicates very well near the limit, you have great butt feel for what the tail is doing, and it is every bit as quick as the E46 ZHP up through the gears...the E90 330i 6MT sport actually traps one mph faster in the 1/4 mile than the ZHP for what its worth.

I've been driving BMWs since 1974, and I think they actually did a great job on the E90...a much better transition than the E39 to E60. The E90 is much improved in many aspects compared to the E60. Comfort Access works great also...my wife loves that and the seamless Bluetooth for her phone and how it works well with iDrive (i.e. phonebook, dialing, etc), never having to take her phone or key out of her purse. The sport package on the 330i is every bit as good or better than any sport package BMW in the past imo...perhaps a bit too stiff for "typical" buyers however. The sport seats are not quite up to the comfort and feel of the Alcantara seats in the ZHP or the seats in my M5 however.

FYI...it's not a "vacuum guage". Since 1983 when BMW introduced Bosch Motronic, they have, off and on, included the fuel consumption gauge which does a direct and continuous calculation of fuel flow rate versus car velocity. The E46 ZHP has it also just like my 1985 535i did. I view it as worthless. At the same location in my M5 there is an oil temperature gauge.

Cheers,
Chuck
2006 330i ZSP 6MT
2001 Audi S4 6MT
1996 Volvo 850R wagon