Thread: E39 Faq
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2006, 01:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 530i
Sunshade Rattle

Is there a cure for my rear sunshade rattle when I turn up the bass?

Here is a possible solution courtesy of the m5board.com. Link to post and another one

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatheheck at m5board.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlavelle at m5board.com
M audio either doesn't have speakers under the grills in the rear doors or they're inoperable. I'm not happy with the rear package shelf rattle on deep bass with my non-M audio setup (I have the power rear shade which I've read contributes to this rattle) so I'm looking forward to upgrading the rear subs and fixing this rattle.
I just upgraded my rear speakers. Replaced the stock crappy Nokia Speakers and replaced them with Boston Acoustics S55 and Polk Audio db1000 tweeters. An excellent upgrade. Part of the reason for the upgrade is to fix the darn rattle in the rear shelf.

Sorry I havent gotten around to making my post with pictures on how to remove and replace the rear speakers and fix the rattles but I hope to do that soon.

Here's a quick summary. Replace your rear speakers if they are stock. The difference is very noticeable as Nokia makes crappy speakers. The Boston Acoustics and Polk Tweeters costs $200.00 total and they sound much much better.

Rattles in the rear deck: and I have the electric rear sunshade. ALL the screws in the rear shelf were loose! (I have the M-Audio) The subwoofer screws are loose, the electric rear sunshade nuts were loose, and so as the other screws in the rear shelf.

So I removed all the screws and nuts, applied locktite to all the threads, reinstalled and retightened all screws, and voila! NO MORE RATTLES even in loud volume cranking up the subwoofers.

I will post pictures soon of my upgrade.

Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatheheck at m5board.com
Sorry I forgot to add this important info. If you have no plans on replacing your stock rear speakers and just want to fix the darn rattle caused by the electric rear sunshade mounting nuts being loose - you dont have to remove the rear deck!

Go inside your trunk and lay down looking up to the bottom of the rear deck. You will find 4 nuts that holds the electric rear sunshade to the rear deck spread across the deck. I will bet you will find these nuts loose almost coming off. Remove the nuts completely, apply locktite to the nuts, reinstall and retighten. But dont overtighten or you risk stripping the threads.

Hope that helps.

Dan Loyola