Thread: E39 Faq
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2006, 09:07 AM
what does this button do?

Mein Auto: 08 535xit
Check Service Engine Soon Light before buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivas
Here's something i think we should all do. start a FAQ since these questions seems to pop up every... oh.. 6-12 days?? here's a start...

Learn from my experience and check the "service engine soon" light before buying a used BMW. It's possible to tamper with this light so it doesn't light when it's supposed to be lit.

The easiet way to check for the proper operation of the light, put the car ignition in accessory mode and ensure that all dashboard lights are lit, including the SES light. If while the ignition is in acc mode and the SES light isn't lit, be wary!

Better yet, if the vehicle has the high board computer option (you can tell if you have a BC button on your radio/MID display) you can follow the instructions in this article to enter test mode: http://www.ideaphile.com/bmw/540-obc.html

I would suggesting running TEST-NR. 02 which will also force all dash lights to be lit. Check to make sure the SES lights up again here.

I would also suggest running TEST-NR. 14 which will display any stored ECU fault codes. This list of 5 entries should be all 0's if no fault codes exist.

It may be helpful to print the referenced article and bring it with you so you don't need to remember howto unlock or enter test mode.