View Single Post
Old 07-26-2006, 07:14 AM
A sudden sense of liberty

Mein Auto: 535xiT, Golf R, 987S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori
Doesn't he have the right to choose who fixes his car? Why can't he just get it fixed by a reputable shop of his choice and then sue the dealership to recover depreciation?
In Virginia he would, anyway.

While Estoril's cold-eyed appraisal of the situation bears thinking about, I wouldn't knuckle under so easily. Diminished value in the case of an M car that's been hit is a very real thing; in my own experience, I had a number of people tell me that they weren't interested in taking my 02 M3 in trade because it had paint work--and this was very minor paint work that was documented as having been done by BMWNA at the VPC before the car was delivered to its first owner (I got it used).

Speaking for myself personally, it would take a *substantial* price discount before I considered an M3 that had been hit as hard as your car has--there are too many clean, pampered ones out there to buy a car that has a "story."

Listen to your lawyer, who can advise you of your rights and options, but I think Stuka's original request in his circumstance (which, IIRC, was a new car at invoice--though this might not be an option on an E46 M3) was quite reasonable. Of course, his dealer didn't agree, and yours may not either.