Thread: E39 Faq
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 12:07 PM
what does this button do?

Mein Auto: 08 535xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerock View Post
For the front, have the back tires on. I have a full tank of gas. Put two small people in the car. With the front on jack stands, tires off, use padding on my jack and carefully jack up the knuckle and tighten the bolts. Repeat for other side.
Do the same/opposite on the rear.
Any better suggestions?

The car really needs to be level, so having the back on the ground and the front in the air will change the balance of weight on the wheels. Also, with the weight off the front your not going to know where to stop of the compression of the strut and being torqueing.

If you want to try this, first I would advise taking a measurement from the center of the wheel hub to the lower fender with the wheels on. Get jack stands under all four corners of the car. Compress, one wheel at a time, with the floor jack until you reach the same hub to fender measurement you had with the wheels on the ground. Add another 1/4 inch of compression if the car isn't weighted. Torque the bolts, move onto the next wheel. Note the car will actually be lifted off the closest jack stand while you are doing this.

Another idea is to use 4 equal ramps or blocks. Get the car, with the wheels on, up on all 4 sides and then get under the car and torque the bolts. You will need weight to do this properly and you need really high ramps or you need to be really skinny.

This is a step which is really really really best done on a lift.

Current:
2013 Ford Edge SEL AWD
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4
Retired:
95 e36 M3/5spd, 96 328is/5spd, 97 540iA, 98 528iA, 01 X5 4.4iA, 03 325xiA, 04 530iA, 02 330Cic/5spd, 08 535xit