View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Update:

I got the front and rear molding replaced and they look great!

I paid $100 for both to be installed but there was a miscommunication about the cost.

It is $50 for the front but only if the glass is original as installed from the factory. If it has been replaced, the cost will go up because he'll need to remove the glass in order to get the molding on MOST LIKELY. I guess the factory-installed glass is put on with less glue and it doesn't ooze into the channel where the molding needs to sit. When it is replaced, glass shops will undoubtedly use a fair amount of sealant/glue and it'll ooze to the point where trying to slip the molding on is very difficult without glass removal.

For the rear, removal is necessary due to the depth of the channel the molding has to slip on. This bumps the cost to about $125 due to the extra labor involved.

For folks in the Bay Area, Michael at Atlas Auto Glass in San Mateo is a heckuva nice guy and seems to know his stuff. However, I doubt he'll let another BMW go for $100!

I brought in my own parts (purchased at Crevier BMW) and this was for a 2001 530i. It took about 2 hours for everything to get done.