Thread: E39 Faq
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745Li 330i K1200LT TL ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0lt3c View Post
The car really needs to be level, so having the back on the ground and the front in the air will change the balance of weight on the wheels. Also, with the weight off the front your not going to know where to stop of the compression of the strut and being torqueing....
Thought about this further, and getting ready to do this probably this weekend.

To be clear, I'd have the car level. You are right about this as being important. It is important for each wheel to see the same load as if it was sitting there.

So, What I'm making up is a sort of adapter that is going to bolt to the wheel hub and I'll use my floor jack to raise the hub up to the point that it lifts the vehicle. Same as if the tire was on the ground. The other three tires on the ground.

The Jack Stand is only there to allow the jack to get under the hub.

Was going to make the adapter out of steel (maybe a big wide piece of c channel) and weld a piece of pipe to actually set it in the jack after popping out the jack plate in the jack. Then I went up in my loft and saw a piece of IPE (Ironwood) scrap that is the right width for cutting a hole, and the bolt pattern for the wheels. I don't think it needs to be very elaborate. Should work fine, and better than jacking any of the aluminum pieces/arms/balljoints on the suspension.

Will update.