View Single Post
Old 11-30-2002, 12:00 PM
Suede Master

Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
Installation of Rear Spring

Clean up the Rubber “Bumpers” while you have the chance. Once clean, put them back in place. Now set the new spring in place. You will need to slide the top end of the spring over the ‘teet’ first and then bring in the bottom. You should not have any trouble getting the new spring in place, as it is quite a bit shorter than the stock spring:

With the spring in place, it is now time to put everything back together. Use the jack to raise the trailing arm up so that you can connect the shock. The bolt for the shock is 18mm and requires 77NM of torque. Take your time lining up the bolt, do not force it. At this point I did not connect the Rear Swaybar mount. I waited until I had the other side done and connected both as the last step.

You’re almost there! Repeat this process for the other side of the car.

Once the other side is complete, connect the Rear Swaybar Mounts. The nut is 13mm and requires 22NM of Torque. Secure the brake line in the clip and then bolt the mount in place.

So Now Then

Now that the rear suspension is complete, it is time to take the car off of the jack stands. Before doing so, take the time to clean the inside of the rear wheels and give them a coat of wax. I highly recommend that you place at least one 2”x6” or larger board under the rear tires before setting the car down. Your rear end is going to be riding over 1” lower and you want to make sure that you will be able to get the jack out from underneath the car. Installation of the rear springs took my dad and myself about 1.5 hours. Installation of the rear shocks (including disassembly and reassembly of the trunk area) took JonM and I around 3.5 hours, but we are pretty meticulous when it comes to interior parts and trim.

Installation of the rear springs took my dad and myself about 1.5 hours. Installation of the rear shocks (including disassembly and reassembly of the trunk area) took JonM and I around 3.5 hours.

Total Project Time so far: 5 Hours

That’s it, you are done with the rear!! Take the time to pull the car out of the garage, pop open a 40 of High Life and bask in a job well done.

08 E82 135i | 02 Z3 Coupe | 01 R1100S