View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to DotBalm
Mein Auto: '04 545
Omigod, that fwy project is a monster, gets its own website! I used to work on E. Erie, a block off Michigan Ave btw. I wish I had my 5 when I drove 94 back to Ann Arbor, but the timing is off by two decades.

I don't add Z6 or a QD to my wash water, but in re-reading my post I can see how it looks like that by my using the word "add." I should have said, step 1 is washing, step 2 is Z6, step 3 is QD if I have any or have time.

Prior to using the Mr. Clean autodry wash system which I'm currently using, I used Griots Garage soap (great smell), then Meguire's Gold Class. The Griots seemed to contribute to the static charge, b/c when all else was constant, such as using synthetic microfiber, and prior to my knowledge of Z6, the car didn't get as dirty as quickly as soon as I made the switch to Meguire's. YMMV. No scientific data to back this up, my .02. So betw the two I think Meguire's helped reduce static and therefore dirt accumulation, switching from synth to cotton helped, adding the Z6 step helped. Then I started testing the Mr. Clean no dry wash system when the Meguire's ran out. I like it, but the car has to be cool and remain cool and out of sun light from beginning to dried or a faint residue can be left, but that's true for any car wash product - towel off type or not. Regardless of which car wash soap/system, I folo w/Z6, then folo w/QD if I'm not out. When I used Meguire's, it was 50/50 whether I towel dried the car then did Z6 or just sprayed with Z6 on a wet car. I don't recall a difference and decided it was time saving to skip towel drying after washing if I could avoid direct sunlight. FWIW, I like the Pinnacle Crystal Mist QD, but I don't feel fanatical about it, whatever I have, I use since I bought a lot of products to try. There are some real towers of knowledge on this board, I'm learning from them and my own mistakes. I've found a pretty wide latitude on how to do things as long as certain fundamentals are followed, like not wiping grit into the clearcoat.