View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Send a message via Yahoo to DotBalm
Mein Auto: '04 545
Omigod, that fwy project is a monster, gets its own website! I used to work on E. Erie, a block off Michigan Ave btw. I wish I had my 5 when I drove 94 back to Ann Arbor, but the timing is off by two decades.

I don't add Z6 or a QD to my wash water, but in re-reading my post I can see how it looks like that by my using the word "add." I should have said, step 1 is washing, step 2 is Z6, step 3 is QD if I have any or have time.

Prior to using the Mr. Clean autodry wash system which I'm currently using, I used Griots Garage soap (great smell), then Meguire's Gold Class. The Griots seemed to contribute to the static charge, b/c when all else was constant, such as using synthetic microfiber, and prior to my knowledge of Z6, the car didn't get as dirty as quickly as soon as I made the switch to Meguire's. YMMV. No scientific data to back this up, my .02. So betw the two I think Meguire's helped reduce static and therefore dirt accumulation, switching from synth to cotton helped, adding the Z6 step helped. Then I started testing the Mr. Clean no dry wash system when the Meguire's ran out. I like it, but the car has to be cool and remain cool and out of sun light from beginning to dried or a faint residue can be left, but that's true for any car wash product - towel off type or not. Regardless of which car wash soap/system, I folo w/Z6, then folo w/QD if I'm not out. When I used Meguire's, it was 50/50 whether I towel dried the car then did Z6 or just sprayed with Z6 on a wet car. I don't recall a difference and decided it was time saving to skip towel drying after washing if I could avoid direct sunlight. FWIW, I like the Pinnacle Crystal Mist QD, but I don't feel fanatical about it, whatever I have, I use since I bought a lot of products to try. There are some real towers of knowledge on this board, I'm learning from them and my own mistakes. I've found a pretty wide latitude on how to do things as long as certain fundamentals are followed, like not wiping grit into the clearcoat.
2004 545 Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Leather, Anthracite Trim, Sport Pkg, Premium Sound. Window Tint.
Delivered: 6/1/04