Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 528i
Repairing Power Seat Switch-DIY

Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Seat Switch.JPG
Views:	700
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	89039
So the switch for the power seat snapped off and I figured it was going to be a "cheap" fix with a new plastic stud from BMW. Well no, the little plastic stud is part of the whole switching control box and costs a bundle.

I tried to glue it back together but it was like building a ship inside a bottle so I decided to open'er'up and try to do a better fix.

First thing, remove the switch covers. They pull straight out. Don't twist!

You'll have to take the side trim panel of the seat off. This photo is looking from the driver's footwell. You need to pop out a plastic clip (that took a lot more force than I thought!) and undo a torx screw. There's another plastic clip on the back of the seat but it's possible to access everything without having to pop that one out.

Name:	Fastener location.JPG
Views:	877
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	89040

The switching control box is clipped to the trim panel and is plugged into the actuators.

Name:	Behind panel.JPG
Views:	763
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	89041

Disconnect the plug and unclip the control box.

Name:	Clip detail.JPG
Views:	586
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	89042

And this is what it looks like. I took the picture after I fixed it so both studs are complete.

Name:	Switch Unit 1.JPG
Views:	674
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	89043

Name:	Part Number.JPG
Views:	500
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	89044

This is the toughest part of the job. To open the box up you have to flip open all 8 plastic clips simultaneously and pry the box open. Thankfully there's no glue. I used bits of cut up plastic to hold each clip open and then used a thin screwdriver to pry the box open.

Name:	End clips.JPG
Views:	554
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	89045

Name:	Side Clips.JPG
Views:	523
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	89046
Advertisement