View Single Post
  #2  
Old 10-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Mister Chow's Avatar
Mister Chow Mister Chow is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 883
Mein Auto: 1999 528i
Part II

After you have the cover off you still have to pry up the clips on the brass plate to expose the studs.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch box.JPG
Views:	531
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	89047

Backside.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back opened 1.JPG
Views:	418
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	89048

Backside without brass plate.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back opened 2.JPG
Views:	432
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	89049

This is what everything looks like taken apart.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exploded.JPG
Views:	1329
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	89050

Then it's a simple matter of using some crazy glue and fixing the broken stud.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stud.JPG
Views:	1568
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	89051

I got a little cocky and though I would reinforce the stud by filling it up with urethane sealant.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pair of Studs.JPG
Views:	513
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	89052
Big mistake! The stud has to be hollow to fit back together. Thank god for Dremel tools.

Reassembly is a two minute job. Much much easier than the disassembly.

I used a dab of vasoline on the plastic to plastic parts to reduce friction and hopefully lesson any stress on those studs. I also switched the two studs (which are identical) so the repaired stud is on the less often used backrest adjustment.

Oh and one more thing. Your seat won't move if the control box is out, the seat memory buttons won't work. So either make sure your seat is in its proper position or plan not to use your car until the job is finished. It should only take a half hour or so plus the time it takes for the glue to dry.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote