View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 03:14 PM
BMW Detailer

Mein Auto: 330Xi and 03 Mach 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by schley View Post
Rip great work..... the sticky is great and like an old friend here when you need it.

I'm going to use your method for my hood. BUT what about the bumper? I know someone mentioned how to fix a rock chip in the front plastic bumper, anyone have any ideas? Thanks

I'll chime in with my process for scratches. I detail for a BMW reseller here in Kansas and recondition 1-2 cars per week. It's low volume, but allows me the luxury of spending a lot of time getting these cars detailed.

Typically, the bumper and headlight covers are the toughest to do. I usually use 3000 grit and a SnapOn air sander to remove light scratches and prep the surface for compounding and glazing.

Here's a 745i that I'm in the process of detailing. The hood and front area had several scratches and lots of stone chips.

You can see how I started to dull the surface I'm working on

Here's a shot of the hood after sanding. The center portion had serious scratches and I dulled the paint quite a bit.

I have about 1/2 the hood compounded

Headlight and bumper are compounded and polished

Hood and front completed...time to compound and glaze the rest of the car

Shameless reflection shot of the driver's side compounded and glazed

Overall, plastic is the toughest part of the car (I've burned a few mirror housings with a rotary). Use lots of care, check your work many times during your work, and start with the least aggressive product.

Totoland