View Single Post
Old 12-24-2006, 08:57 PM
On our 2nd Alpine X

Mein Auto: 06 X3/2010 MCSC
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITEX View Post
My LOW coolant indicator lit up last week. I went to BMW and the service writer said to top it off. He offered to have a tech take care of it if I want to wait a few minutes. I went to Pep Boys and bought 50/50 mix and added some. Read the operators manual. Add coolant until red marker comes up to a cretain level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisuy View Post
thanks for you post...but 50/50 mix?...is this a generic coolant?...or as IMR posted...only BMW coolant should be used...

also read in another post that this refilling should only be done in the morning ...when the engine is cool...... any reason for this?

50/50 mix is 50% coolant - 50% water. It's pre mixed.
The service writer whispered to me that a good grade of Auto store coolant can be used. I added a few ounces only. I just topped off the level.
ALWAYS service the coolant when the engine is cold. Such as MORNING or if car sits all day and has not been started. REASON BEING>>>HOT COOLANT IS UNDER PRESSURE. IT WILL CAUSE SERIOUS HARM TO YOUR FACE, EYES, SKIN, BODY, ETC. IT IS BOILING HOT. Do not remove the coolant cap when engine temp is hot.
Please be careful. One accident is too much. Take your X3 to BMW if you have any doubt about topping off. Thanks, Frank
GONE>>>Sold. One of the best rides I ever owned. My 1st BMW-2006 X3 3.0 White w/blk. Prem/Nav/Sirius/Servo/Heated seats,steering/Park Dist./Xenon/Privacy.I got the auto. trans. so my wife can drive it.
Our 2nd Bimmer2014 X3 i35 Alpine/Chestnut. Nav,Prem,Tech,Cold Weather, Shades. Got the Automatic cause we had no choice
My 1st Mini-2010 PW, I got the 6 speed so my wife can't drive it. Laurel Edition Convert

Last edited by WHITEX; 12-24-2006 at 08:59 PM.