View Single Post
Old 01-01-2003, 07:21 PM
///M forum moderator

Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
Re: This is weird...

Quote:
Originally posted by Gus
My VIN is in conflict with many things on that list. For instance, digit #5 on my car is M wich translates to a M Coupe 00 (my car is a 1999!), later confirmed by the X on digit 10. Now the big question is the L on digit 11 which corresponds to Greer, S.C. plant (my car is "Euro spec with the S50B32 motor), yet when Ron once put my VIN on the ETK CD, it came back as ZA spec (South Africa)! After speaking with BMW of Africa, they told me my car could not be ZA specs because all ZA specs BMWs are right hand drive and my car is left hand drive (the same as in USA). In case anyone is interested, my VIN # is WBSCM9103XLB56588. So, where did BMW mess up?
I agree with ///M Rakete that the model year discrepancy is that the ETK is not complete, not that it is in error. There is no 99 M coupe listed.

Also I have found a rule of thumb (I have been told you can split the 4-7 digits of the VIN down, but from the ETK it says you can) is that the 7th digit of the VIN can be broken down as this: 1 = Euro spec car, 2 = LHD, 3= US car.