Thread: E39 Faq
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 05:17 PM
You Lick It, You Own It

Send a message via ICQ to chivas Send a message via AIM to chivas
Mein Auto: 98 540i/6
How does coolant play a roll in the longevity of your radiator

So watching MotorWeek today, Goss garage brought up a good point and i am guilty of not doing what is suggested by the show.

Apparently you're suppose to change the coolant EVERY fall. that's ONCE A YEAR for those wondering when every fall is.

I have a gut suspicion most of us change the coolant when something goes wrong and the next time we change coolant is the next time something fails. to prevent failure, changing every fall will refresh the coolant.

why is it important to refresh the coolant?

well, one reason is mentioned here:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...lant-Flush.htm

What they mentioned is correct however they fail to mention what this does to PLASTIC..

Quote:
It's important to keep your cooling system at the correct pH as well. Water has a pH of 7 and is considered neutral. Battery acid is highly corrosive and has a pH of about 2-3, whereas baking soda is very alkaline, and has a pH of about 10-11. In general, you want to make sure that your coolant has a pH greater than seven. Any pH less than that will result in an acidic mixture, which will start to corrode your engine. The corrosion inhibitors in additives and antifreeze are added specifically to keep the pH above 7. A properly mixed 50/50 split between water and antifreeze will yield a pH of about 8-9. Over time, the glycol (one of the main components of antifreeze) will break down and degrade, creating acidic compounds. The alkaline corrosion inhibitors must be adequate enough to neutralize these acidic byproducts over the life of the coolant. Minerals in the water, heat, dissolved oxygen, and other factors gradually deplete the coolant of its corrosion inhibitors. Once gone, the mixture will become acidic, and will begin to eat away at your engine.

The pH change in the coolant not only eats away at your motor block but if it does that to your block, think of what happens to your PLASTIC radiator and the water pump!

what is the lesson in this FAQ post???

CHANGE YOUR COOLANT ONCE A YEAR!!! (doesn't have to be fall but the old school thought is so that when winter hits, you're mixture is correct so it doesn't freeze and crack any vital parts)

i am going to practice this and see how long everything lasts.

It takes a lot of work to be lazy.