Thread: E39 Faq
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: '02 BMW 530i
Want more airflow to your engine? Remove intake muffler

I hope to post pics by tomorrow, though I don't have the whole process.

There are a few posts already on other models. The following link helped me figure it out for my 2002 530i E39.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=22

The only thing it doesn't mention is on my particular model, and I'm sure some others out there, I actually found two "horns" or airflow restricters. I am not responsible for what this might do to your car, just like the original poster, but I did this to my car yesterday and so far so good! It seems to have extra kick, even in low end revs, and it didn't cost a thing!

The extra horn I found was after the air filter, on the side where the airbox is connected to the tubing going straight to the engine. If you look carefully (it's much easier to do when you remove the whole airbox), you will/may see another horn that bends down almost at a 90 degree angle which is a separate plastic part that was thrown in. With a little screwdriver prodding, you can pop it right out.

If you already have a CAI (cold air intake), don't worry about it as you obviously would've removed all of this already.