View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky579 View Post
If 1600 people gave me $20 and one was curious as to how the money was being spent I would provide it. Think about businesses, if you say this is Jon's job then I suppose this is his business and if we are contributing, or "compensating" for his hard work then that in a way makes us like shareholders in which we are entitled to the financial information.

So if Jon needs to be compensated for this event, why are we donating money to charity? You don't get rich throwing your money away. Maybe I'm an asshole but I would never give money to the poor/charity. I believe in natural selection and the fittest with survive.
Why not lower the price to $10 and not donate to charity.
O.k., now I see where your confusion lies.

Bimmerfest is a car show, not a nonprofit venture. As a way for us to give something back (all of us) since we are fortunate enough to be driving expensive Ultimate Driving Machines, a couple of years ago (Bimmerfest IV in 2003) I asked our sponsors to donate products so that we could hold an "Opportunity Drawing" so that we could donate some money to a local charity. That little piece of Bimmerfest gave us all a warm and fuzzy feeling, so I decided to continue that tradition, picking a new charity every year. Three (count them, 3) people devoted the better part of a year to put this event on (forget all of the years developing the event without remuneration), and the profit from the event at least helps us pay our bills, but not much more. So you see, your assumptions were all wrong. Have no fear. Unless you actually purchased a ticket for the Opportunity Drawing, you did not make a donation to charity.

Lastly, this is my job and business. Since when did I make you a shareholder? You believe I have an obligation to provide my financials? Why don't you drive to your local BMW dealer and demand to see his while you are at it?

Serving the BMW Online Community Since 1995 The BIMMERFEST "Internet Special"