View Single Post
Old 05-20-2007, 08:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 528i
Another complete cooling system replacement done

Yesterday we did a complete cooling system replacement in my 99 528i. I had no signs of leaks but at 108K miles figured it would be good to do.

Replaced, radiator, expansion tank, hoses, idler and tension rollers, water pump, thermostat, fan, fan clutch, and fan pulley.

The hardest portion of the job was removing the fan nut, used 32mm wrench, heated with oxy/acetylene torch, air chisel, nothing, would not budge. Ended up drilling a hole through nut into WP threads and putting in more liquid wrench, finally broke free. Unbelievable as the nut looked in such good condition i.e. not all rusted, and after removed the threads were fine.
Yes we used anti-seize on new nut.

My water pump had metal impellers and looked brand new as did thermostat.

Ones all was replaced we used an airlift device to decompress the entire cooling system and 'sucked' in all new coolant and water, no bleeding required! Never saw this in action neat.

Well done, few, and thanks to all for my questions leading up to this.
1999 BMW 528i sports pkg. 5-speed, rear lip spoiler, removed phone, Aspheric mirror, new M5 dead pedal, home made clutch stop, removed intake muffler, clear side and rear lights, Nein CDV, full cooling system overall, Beisan VANOS seals.
Best mod to date: removed seat clip.
Advertisement