View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 06:27 AM
Free Your Heel

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 335xi
Salzburg

May 15: Fully recovered from jet lag. First thing in the morning, took a cab to the Delivery Center and picked up the car. Great experience. Then drove to Salzburg. It was raining, so I kept the speeds under 100 mph. Off of A8, stopped at the border to get the Austrian Vignette and safety vest (forgot to get the D sticker, but it never was an issue).

We stayed at the Goldener Hirsch, which I recommend. It's in a great location. Valet parking. Ate a fantastic dinner there (expensive), including a Salzburger Nockerl for dessert.

Went to the Residenz, but the state rooms were closed. Toured its art gallery, which was unimpressive.

May 16: Toured Hohensalzburg, which is a must-see. You don't need to take the tram to get to it. Instead, work off all that food you've been eating by walking up the road.

Walked around Mirabell Palace. It was OK.

Then drove to Berchtesgaden. Got there too late to tour Eagle's Nest, but did go through Dokumentation Obersalzberg. Very good Nazi history; get the audio if you don't know German.

Back in Salzburg, ate dinner at Alt Salzburg (expensive). Simply fantastic and probably the best meal of the trip. I highly recommend this restaurant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hohensalzburg.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	109854   Click image for larger version

Name:	hohensalzburgView.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	109855  

Last edited by bimmerFUD; 05-28-2007 at 07:17 AM. Reason: A8 instead of A6