View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 07:28 AM
Free Your Heel

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 335xi
Wenns

May 21: Drove to Wenns, which is in Pitztal. On the way we stopped and toured Schloss Ambras, near Innsbruck. Interesting and worth the visit, although my wife kept me in the portrait gallery until I thought I'd go insane. The Spanish Hall is beautiful (see below).

Wenns is another idyllic town. We stayed in Hotel Tschirgantblick, which was very clean with a fantastic view of the Pitztal from our balcony. Outdoor parking, but these are very small villages and I felt the car was perfectly safe.

May 22: We'd plan to hike near Wenns, but the weather was bad so we drove into Innsbruck. We toured the Hofburg, Hofkirche, and Dom St. Jakob. All are fantastic.

After we drove back to Wenns, I drove up the Kaunertal, which is the valley north of Pitztal. The weather was still pretty bad, but the drive was a lot of fun. It definitely contends with the Grossglockner it terms of thrills, with small sections of single track.

On the way back from Kaunertal, I went by way of Piller, instead of going all the way back to the Autobahn. It was the recommended route by my Garmin. The road was mostly a single-track. Wow! Very steep and oncoming traffic is a bit of a game of chicken. But the scenery was incredible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spanishHall.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	109872   Click image for larger version

Name:	kaunertal.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	109873   Click image for larger version

Name:	carSingletrack.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	109874  

Last edited by bimmerFUD; 05-28-2007 at 07:53 AM.