View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 02:43 AM
2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Mein Auto: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT
My First Euro Delivery, And More To Come!

Here is my April ED trip pic's and trip report:

http://az-bmw.smugmug.com/gallery/2798022#149304210

April 29, 2007: Just returned from my ED trip with some good and bad news; Good News: weather was almost perfect (all but 1 day was blue sky, sunny and high 60’s or low 70’s, only 1 day of rain); Bad News: most of the jpg’s are in my son’s camera which is now in San Diego, so only a few are displayed here now, more later (I promise).
[Note: All are now displaced in link above]

Day 1: Arrived ~6am in Munich and collected the 2 large duffle bags at baggage claim with the 2 carry-on back-packs (yeah, no room in the 335i E93’s trunk for much more). Pulled funds out of the Deutsche Bank ATM machine in baggage claim (got the inter-bank rate with no transaction fee using a BofA ATM card). Proceeded to the S-Bahn S8 train for the very easy transit to the Hilton Munich City hotel (Rosenheimer Platz station) where I was supposed to have early arrival reservations. Got to the Hilton and no rooms ready yet, so left the bags with the front desk and took the U-Bahn to Marien Platz to checkout the world’s largest(?) Cuckoo Clock. Got there and the front of the building was covered with scaffolding (oh well). Did the Tourist stuff in that general area until ~1pm when the hotel rooms were available; crashed for a couple of hours sleep before taking the S/U-Bahn to the Olympiazentrum station for this trip’s first German meal (Schnitzel with Spatzle) before the factory tour. Lined-up at the BMW Munich Plant entrance for the ~6pm English tour (got to see the whole operation including the paint and engine shops). Wow, a long 1st day in Deutschland.

Day 2: Up early for the easy S/U-Bahn transit to Freimann to the Delivery Center. Although I had printed the detailed walking directions (with photo’s), I unfortunately noticed a BMW sign on a large building, said that must be the place, and started walking in that direction. Yeah, wrong way (it was just an ad sign on a high-rise apartment building). Went back towards the U-Bahn station and this time followed the directions, and as advertised it was an easy ~10 minute walk to the center.
Got to the Center and at both the check-in counter and upstairs in the Bistro they asked for the meal voucher (luckily I had received one from BMWNA). Gave them my lug nut locks and asked for them to be installed. Asked about not having the front bumper U.S. bracket installed, but just mount the Zoll plate directly to the front bumper; was told, not possible, the bracket is already installed at the Factory (maybe there should be a zpd-like option for eliminating the front bracket for us folks who don’t need it in the states). Waited ~45 minutes, signed the forms and got introduced to my new car; Zoll plate M7851Z. Plugged-in BeeWang’s Euro Navi DVD, Center’s rep entered a few key addresses, then off to Harms (MADA) to meet Thomas and fill out the appropriate forms.
Spent the afternoon at Schloss Nymphenburg walking the grounds and touring a few buildings. Then drove back to the Hilton, parked in their nice underground garage, grabbed another German meal, then crashed for the night. BTW, the Holiday Inn is just down the street, but I used Hilton Honors Points for my stay.

Day 3: Headed to Garmisch-Partenkirchen on the Autobahn and kept the speed at or below 100mph (very difficult to constrain oneself with this car that just screams TORQUE). BTW, I noticed at 100 mph, the tach was reading only 3,000 rpm; seemed low, but I’ve got the Steptronic trans, not a MT; is that Tach reading correct or did my car somehow end up with a low ratio Euro rear end?
Arrived in Garmisch and drove to the Zugspitze cable car parking lot; took the cable car up and the cog-wheel train down. Wow, what a great view from the top of the Zugspitze (Germany’s highest peak, I’m told) on a blue-sky, sunny day! Still snow on the mountain, so several people were skiing; ie, that’s what I forgot to bring, my ski gear (Ah, no way they would fit in the 335i with 4 people, oh well).
After traversing the Zugspitze drove over to the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort in Garmisch to check-in (an outstanding U.S. military R&R facility in Garmisch that active duty, reservist and retiree’s can use). Noticed in the Stars & Stripes newspaper in the lobby a headline that made me nervous: “Bases in Germany plan terror response.” Apparently all the U.S. bases in Germany had just been put on alert due to detected planned Terrorist activities, especially the facilities in Southern Germany; just my luck, huh?

Day 4: Now the real Tourist stuff begins. Headed over to Fussen to tour both Schloss’ Nueschweinstein and Hohenschwangau. That consumed most of the day. Visited a local Fussen restaurant for another fine German meal. On the way back to Garmisch picked up the 10-day Austria Vignette, safety vest and the oval D at an ADAC store.

Day 5: Drove over to Lake Chimsee to ride the boat out to the island and visit Schloss Herrenchiemsee. Another great sunny day for the trip and drive on the Autobahn. Bee’s Navi disk has been invaluable for these trips and much easier than wading through maps.

Day 6: Drove to Salzburg to tour the city and attend a Mozart lunch concert at Stiftskeller St. Peter. Finally the weather broke and it started raining, but only for this 1 day. Also hiked up to the Salzburg Fortress (high on a hill, overlooking the city) and took the tour of Festung Hohensalzburg; and yes, I bought some Mozart chocolates. Then drove to Berchtesgaden to spent the night in a nice, small, family run bed & breakfast; Hotel Larchenhof Schonau am Konigssee.

Day 7: Went to the Salzbergwerk Berchtesgaden salt mine to take the tour, then over to Lake Konigssee for the hop-on/hop-off boat tour of the lake and lunch at a restaurant on the lake. BTW, I had purchased a cheap GSM cell phone from Mobal for this trip that was very useful for quick calls back home and to synchronize activities while in Germany; also had it in case of any emergency while driving.

Day 8: Starting to wind-down. Took the car to a self-service car wash in Garmish to get all the bugs off of it, while my son rented a car and went to Innsbruck for some touring. Tried to get into the AAFES Exchange on the local U.S. Military Kaserne, but was told due to a Status Of Forces Agreement (SOFA) with Germany, my ID would not allow me access to the Exchange. Oh well, had lunch at a Subway fast food outlet on the Kaserne.

Day 9: Up early in the morning for the drive to Harms (MADA) in Munich to drop-off the car. Met Rolf for a quick ride to the airport. BTW, if you want to avoid the long checkin lines at the Munich Airport, use the self-checkin machines; we were in/out in 20 minutes on a Friday morning and on our way thru security. Now the long wait for re-delivery!

Now I want to plan another ED trip in maybe 2 years when the excitement and pricing on the new M3 (V8) reduces hopefully into my price range.

2009 Alpine White M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186382&page=3
Traded: 2007 335i E93