View Single Post
Old 02-26-2003, 06:41 AM
Car Junkie

Mein Auto: '88 M3, Ex-'99 M3
Re: Re: So I drove an E30 M3 tonight...

Quote:
Originally posted by Clyde@work

So which gets parked outside? The E30, the SUV or your wife's Civic? Just keep the E36 M3.
I love my E36 M3, but I have a couple quibbles with it that aren't related to the car's quality. Basically, it's the perfect example of the Ultimate Compromise Machine:

-It's a very nice car, too nice for me to drive it super hard without feeling guilty. It's also very civilized, almost too civilized.

-when significantly modded, it becomes difficult to live with in and around Pothole City U.S.A.

-It's my only car. When I break it, I walk until it's fixed.

-It's relatively expensive. The monthlies and insurance are not a problem, but track time, autox time, and mods start breaking the car budget. Still not a problem, but not what I really want to do. The car budget is closely watched by the boss (aka wife).

So, for 2/3 the price of my M3, I can have a useful car and a fun car. The useful car is nowhere close to my M3 in terms of performance and fun-to-drive potential, but it positively dwarfs the M3's potential for hauling people and animals. A 4-door M3 might make this a more debatable point if it weren't for the animal. The fun car is not half as comfortable or civilized as my M3, but it's not intended to be plush...it's intended to be DRIVEN.

We'll see how it goes. I want to drive a few more and maybe even switch cars with someone for a weekend. I want to feel comfortable with the car before I make the choice, because the car I have now is really quite excellent.

'88 M3
Conforti chip, Evo airbox/K&N filter, UUC short shift kit, oil pan baffle, Hella H4 lights, OEM glass sunroof
sold: '99 M3 Coupe
Cosmos Black
Airbox baffle removed, ZKW ellipsoid headlights, UUC short shift kit, BMW x-brace, debadged

'96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8
(Support Vehicle)