View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328xiT & M roadster
Quote:
Can anyone explain to me exactly how the memory seats work in my 2007 X3 3.0si (key settings vs buttons on side of seat)?
Yes.

Here is the story for MY 2004. I can't tell you if it changed for later years. Some of the following is fact, some just what I have surmized. (You can try to separate these out.)

Background: BMW used to give stickers/flags to code the keys so you could distinquish key #1 from #2, etc. They stopped doing this in North America because they noticed that this didn't match common usage (one key per driver) and explanations were too complex. So the "system" is still there, but basically unused and unexplained.

Usage: The seat memory buttons and the keys interact. They are NOT independent. In some models the key settings also cover heating & ventilation, mirror positions etc. But I don't think the heating/ventilation is tied into the memory programming of the X3.

Procedure: WIth the car turned on via key #1, set the seat memory for button #1. (Set the seat positions, press M so it lights up, press button 1. The light will go off and the first memory position is stored.) Turn off the car and remove the key.

If you want, repeat this for key #2 and button 2. If you want, store a third position in button #3 (there is no key #3).

From now on, until you replace the settings in the memories, unlocking and starting the car with key #N will return the seat to memory position #N, where N = 1 or 2.

As to:
Quote:
Regarding the dipping reverse mirror, the mirror control button has to be to one side. I believe it is the LEFT side for a RIGHT dipping mirror. Ah, German logic once again.
This one is CLEARLY explained in the owners manual.