View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 05:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 98 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattman View Post
Hey folks, I had to chime in and correct a few things here.

Swirls are not in the wax, they are in the clear coat. Waxes and glazes do not remove swirls, they merely "fill" them temporarily, making them less optically visible. They fill the micro scratches with fillers or oils so that light doesn't hit them, hence hiding them.

Carnauba's and glazes last a very short time. So after you wash your car, you'll most likely see all those same swirls all over again.

There is only way to truly remove swirls: polish them out. Polishing is by definition a process where by you are removing a micro-thin layer of your clearcoat. The more aggressive or abrasive the polish, the more clear coat you are removing. Polishing is often a multi-step process, where an agressive polish is followed by a more gentle polish, etc. and then onto a wax or a synthetic sealant. Aggressive polishing is best done with either a rotary or a random orbital, and light polishing is best done with a random orbital. Beginners should not use a rotary, but anyone with some quick training can use an orbital.

An orbital not only spins, it oscillates. That "dual action" means it doesn't generate enough heat in one space to "burn" the paint, which would leave those aweful hologram looking marks in your paint.

I could go on forever here, but just wanted to shed some light on this. The technique recommended with using an MF bonnet and QD sounds fishy to me. Why do you need to use your PC for that? Just use QD and an MF and you're fine. You're not really accomplishing much by applying the QD with a PC.
Can you recommend some polishes to use? Thanks