View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: 330 Xi
Italian ED experience

Folks:

My wife and I drove her new 750iL all over Italy this past October logging 1600+ miles. (Only saw 1 other 750 in Italy in two weeks! - lots of 500s and 300s though...) The experience was great. We handed the vehicle over to the hiker for DH Harms in Rome on a Thursday afternoon outside our hotel near the Ministry of Defense, with the following Sunday being the end of the 14 day insurance period. So FYI to all of you who are considering dropping in Italy, DH Harms only seems to demand 3.5 days of hike time with your insurance in force as opposed to the 5 days indicated on the BMW ED website. Best to check via email with the DH Harms contact (Mr. Schroeder?) before locking in your arrangements.

I have to admit that I was a bit worried about driving that large a car in Italy, but things worked out well. Even driving into Rome was not bad. The motorcycles and scooters are probably the biggest issue, but eventually you get used to them as well. Think of them as remora fish!

As special shout-out and thanks to Beewang who provided a euro nav disk. This is absolutely essential to really enjoying the european driving experience.

Rgds!