View Single Post
Old 03-10-2003, 06:29 AM
Why can't we get Diesels?

Mein Auto: V70R, JGC, MCS
I agree. But I don't think it's only a matter of the Z4's pricing with regard to what comparable performance you can get for your money. The success of the Z3 (which I am sure they are trying to replicate) was primarily the allure of having an affordable good looking BMW roadster. A lot of men and women went after the car. Since then, many other manufacturers have jumped in the market. The SLK takes away the crown as a flashy cool car a girl may want to get (hardtop acrobabitcs are cool). And for performance, the Boxster delivers. There are other competitors as well for less money.

Even if one were to argue that the Boxster and the Z4 have comparable performance for the money, the Porsche name will overshadow the BMW name to many of those shopping. To some this will be their best car ever owned and they rather flaunt a Porsche convertible than a BMW one. And remember most buyers are not performance nuts.

Finally, I am yet to meet ONE girl who likes the Z4 better than the Boxster as far as looks go.

Last edited by mbr129; 03-10-2003 at 07:07 AM.