View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW E93 335i
Aubie's ED Trip Report

I wanted to give you all the highlights of my recently completed trip to pick up my E93.

11/9 Ė 11/17
Picked up the car via Welt on 11/12. Total miles driven 587.

Itinerary:
Departed Milwaukee for Munich on 11/9
Arrived 11/10 in Munich. Rolf picked us up at the airport.
2 nights Munich, Germany: stayed at Sheraton Munich Arabellapark Hotel.
1 night Hohenschwangau, Germany: stayed at Hotel Muller
1 night Zurich, Switzerland: stayed at Novotel Zurich Airport Messe
2 nights Vevey, Switzerland: stayed at Hotel Des Trois Couronnes
1 night Geneva, Switzerland: stayed at Mandarin Oriental Du Rhone
Departed 11/17 via Geneva

Highlights:
Rolf Raffelsieper met us at the airport and took us to our hotel. Rolf is a great guy and gave lots of wonderful directions and suggestions for our touring needs in Munich.

The Welt delivery experience was great. I could not recommend it more!

We did some touring in Munich and ended up at the Hofbrauhaus. We were fortunate enough to meet another member (Mike). My girlfriend is still amazed at how many of us BMW fanatics there are.

Hohenschwangau and Vevey are great places to visit. We liked Vevey so much we are planning on going back again. Vevey is right on Lake Geneva and is a wine growing region (about 60% the size of Napa). The backdrop is mountains. We took a train ride up the mountain to Les Pleiades which is about 4000 feet in elevation. Quite a change from the valley floor.

Lowlights:
Zurich is just another big city as far as I am concerned. Glad we went but would not make it a destination again.

Geneva was a bit of a mixed bag for us. In warmer weather it would have been more enjoyable. The Old Town area is nice. Had I realized how close Vevey was to the Geneva airport and how great the train is we would have dropped the car off on Thursday and stayed in Vevey an extra night.

Overall:
It was a truly remarkable trip and the BMW experience is well worth the time to go. If nothing else the discount gave us a truly great vacation for what we would have paid for just the car here.

The USD conversion rate stinks. I also never thought I would be happy to pay $3.39 per gallon but after filling up in Germany it now seems like a bargain.

Using the Navigation Disk Loaner Program is a must if you get the Navigation System. Otherwise take a portable along with you. It makes the stress so much less during the trip and helped us find some truly interesting places along the way.

No matter what anyone tells you, get a Tax Sticker if you are going to drive in Austria. The 10 day tourist sticker is much cheaper than the fine if you get stopped. I bought one and I am glad I did.

This site was invaluable to me in making my car selections and planning my trip. The good information (mixed in with some silly commentary) is worth paying attention to. Without it I would not have found the Hotel Muller or Rolf nor had a nav disk.

The journey is so much more than the destination. While it is good to know some key anchor spots along the way, trying different routes, locations, etc makes it your trip verses someone elseís.

I canít wait to the next BMW Welt purchase!

Aubie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28 Dennis & Mike Hofbrau House 11112007.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	128819   Click image for larger version

Name:	34 Hotel Muller 2 11132007.JPG
Views:	489
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	128820   Click image for larger version

Name:	44 Neuschwanstein Castle 2 11132007.jpg