Thread: 540 caught fire
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Neverending Top End!

Mein Auto: 1998 540i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer540ia View Post
I have a 540 year 2000 which caught fire the other night coming home. BMW says it was a faulty electronic thermostat that started it. So far I am up to $4000.00 in damages under the hood. Who knows what damage is under the dash since the inside of the car filled with smoke!

BMW claims they dont have any recalls or faulty parts (Then why did my car catch on fire!).

And to make matters worse the insurance company will not pay for any damage because "A FLAME WAS NOT VISIBLE". What a bunch of crap this is.

Anyone with any knowledge please give me a shout at beemer540ia AT yahoo...

Thank you,
Ken
Ken,
Sorry to hear about your 540i. Mine did the same thing on 28 Nov 07. Lost power at first then flames/smokes came through the vents. The whole engine incenerated. Luckily a CDF truck came by to put the fire out. The FD didn't arrive till 10-15 mins later. My whole car would of blown to bits had the fire not been put out. Who's your insurance? My insurance claimed a total lost. Their evaluation claim is $12k minus $500 deductible. I'm very happy with insurance. I'm suprise your insurance is giving you crap. I would make a complaint with BBB. If you have a police or fire department report, you can produce the evidence. Did the insur company send an evaluator over to your car? If they didn't, how the hell can they say it was not a flame that caused it. Tell me more the details that led to the fire. Alan.
98' 540i6 Sports, Jet Black on black, Nav with DSP, Dinan CAI/Stage II software, Hella Celis projectors and clear tail lights, UUC SSK, CDV delete, Racing Dynamics exhaust, Mtech lip, Hamann wheels (19X8.5 fronts/19X10 rears), UHP General Tires (245/35 19W fronts/275/30 19W rears), Rogue Engineering tranny mounts, Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs (1" drop rears/1.5 drop fronts), Stop Tech stainless steel brake lines