View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 07:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimoreno View Post
This could be due to various causes but there are two most likely ones since it covers several instruments at the same time. The first one is a grounding point under the steering column where a lot of electrical grounds are connected. Maybe it has become loose and is not completing the circuit. The second one is a little bit more pricey and it is a dead "SI Board". These cars calculate the Service Interval (SI) for oil changes and inspections with a board inside the instrument cluster (See those little green and red lights?). This board has rechargeable batteries in it that eventually die and leak acid on the electrical boards corroding them and killing connections and components. I had a dead fuel, temp, tach, instant fuel economy gauge and all came back to life after replacing my SI board.
You can find them on Ebay but make sure that you get the correct one for your car.
I guess another cause could be that one of the big connectors behind the instrument cluster has come loose also (there are 3, blue, yellow and white).

Good Luck!
I bet it's the SI board. Mine is on its way out.