BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Not a whine just the facts - New AT update.

24K views 229 replies 47 participants last post by  kjboyd 
#1 ·
I brought my '07 (1/07 build date) into the dealer for the third time for AT issues. The first fix was temporary but the second fixed some of the problems altogether and others for a longer period of time. I had some hesitaiton off the line primarily downshifting and lower gear issues. I was never placed in a dangerous situation (left turn lag issues) although I suppose the possibility was there.

The dealer noted that this was my third time in for the same issue and kept my X3 for 2 1/2 days. When I picked it up the receipt dated 11/7/07 stated with respect to the fix:

"CAUSE F:
SA VERIFY CONDITION, AS PER SIB 24-08-07 VEH HESITATING REPROGRAM VEH USING NEW SOFTWARE AND TEST, NO MORE HESITATION OR HUNTING AT THIS TIME. 375WX"

I have not driven it but my wife says it is much better and it didn't have the downshift issue we experienced on the hill going to our house. I guess the operative phrase based on my prior experince is "AT THIS TIME."

The service person said this was a "brand new" software update, BMW is well aware of this problem, I am not alone and they are hoping this finally takes care of the problem.

I am having a lawyer friend line up a lemon law consult for me just in case.

See less See more
#75 ·
Ok just got a call from the dealer that they can't find any problems with the tranny under cold weather conditions.

The dealer gave me a loaner as usual. A new 328i. Why is it with a loaner that is driven by many people and it shifts so smooth that I can't tell what gear it's in, yet my X3 under the best of conditions has at least enough hesitation that I can always tell when it shifting and what gear it's in?

#76 · (Edited)
The dealer gave me a loaner as usual. A new 328i. Why is it with a loaner that is driven by many people and it shifts so smooth that I can't tell what gear it's in, yet my X3 under the best of conditions has at least enough hesitation that I can always tell when it shifting and what gear it's in?
That is the question. The 328i uses the same transmission and nearly the same engine as the X3.

A bit OT. The X-Drive unit mounts at the back of the transmission...

Good photo of an X5 X-Drive unit.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/46/BMW_xDrive.jpg

A set of clutches control how much power is delivered to the two drive shafts. Power is shifted front to back as needed. The DSC system determines where the power goes. That has to be related to the problems, since the RWD cars seem to all be fine.

The big question is why aren't there aren't nearly as many complaints from 328iX drivers? Those cars uses the same system. A few of the cars do have similar problems.

#77 ·
My point exactly....... left a message for BMWNA rep this morning...dealer keeps telling me no problem found....that is what they always told me.....until I walk in with stacks of reprinted web site complaints and SIB numbers.

#78 ·
I left my SA a voice message last FRIDAY asking to see a print out of my software version, they will no longer call me back and keep telling me nothing is wrong, when clearly, there is. I almost rear-ended someone at the mall yesterday because it downshifting unexpectedly and took off with very little gas applied.

#79 ·
The last time I left the dealer, after the service manager rode with me and admitted to me that there was a problem, they told there was nothing they could do. The paper work said transmission "normal". If you have a corporate customer service contact deal with that person. Be persistent, polite and patient.

KJ and Ev how many trips to the dealer and how many days in the shop?

#80 ·
Fourth time in the shop for the same problem. My SA at bmwna is away until the 7'TH so we'll see what she says.

I am really convinced that the dealer thinks this not a problem, has become immune to sensing it, or does not have the correct info from BMWNA. In other words a design flaw.

I wish I could "Black Box" a "Good" X3 against mine and see if maybe I have become "Immune" as well.

#82 ·
Yup--that was my last encounter that they finally agreed there was an issue. The latest update seemed to fix the problem until Winter came along and threw in a wrench.

Quite frankly I think the adaptive driving system is the real issue.

It's like Vista. When you try to impose an idea that you think people want, rush it out to delivery without proper testing, let the user be the beta test, and then live in denial--- you are setting yourself up for problems or failure.

My earlier comment is also based upon how smooth the 328i drives in comparison to the X3 which are mechanically the same (I know there is a weight difference and other factors).

#86 · (Edited)
Poor communication

I completely agree with you on this. The majority of the issues I ran into were imo as a result of the dealer not knowing the resolutions.

Normally I would have tacked this up to the dealer try to blame the nebulous big corporate giant, but this website helps confirm that this is not an isolated event and is widespread.

Again, a simple "We are sorry there is a problem with your X3. We are currently working on a solution and will get back to you immediately (or with "X" timeframe)" would have gone a long way with me from BMWNA.

#84 ·
Dag, keep us posted. My real communication and ultimate resoulution did not begin until I got in contact with BMWNA customer service. Get a referral from the dealer.

#89 ·
I took my X3 in for the fourth time to check on the AT reprogramming. The service tech drove the vehicle and said the sport mode is set for higher rpm shifts so it will not be quite as smooth as the regular d mode. As we were driving it hunted for gears when accelerating at 20-30 mph getting to 4.5 on the tach; on slow downs and stops the car did the jerking. He said that was typical ...

long story short - he said he agrees that the transmission isn't as smooth in sport mode. Then said my X3 drives a lot better than some of the other vehicles that came in with the jerky shifts actually jerking the people in it. He then hinted that he heard that a new patch was going to be issued on the 17th. Then when I was leaving the service advisor said to check back in a month because their may be another patch update. That tells me that they are aware that the problems weren't fixed with the last patch and they are working on developing another patch.

Why is it so difficult to get this problem fixed???!!! Whoever figures this out and develops the software ought to get the nobel prize. ;-)

#90 ·
If I had my way, I'd say to the tech or service advisor: "Here, take my keys and drive it home tonight and back to work tomorrow. If you don't get seriously annoyed, I'll stop bothering you about the gearbox issue." :rofl:

#91 ·
AzN - The problem is that the service folks all recognize the problem. Everybody feels the hunting shifts and the jerking shifts- not to mention the dangerous non-shifts. HG is told he's lucky and it could be worse. The problem is that because this is a design defect (software programming, evidently) there is nothing that can be done by the dealer except to tell you that it's normal or that your problem is not as bad as most. In the meantime you have to drive your $40k car and get jerked around, both literally and figuratively. At some point BMW is going to bite the bullet on this one.

#94 · (Edited)
I'll find out if there is a new SIB. I have a call into my CS agent at BMWNA and she returns on Monday.

Funny, if there is no problem with these, then why have I had 4 different SIB's done and now a new one is rolling out for the non-existant problem again?

At the very least we should get a rebate for our tolerance,patience, and aggravation.

I work with proprietary computer systems as one facet of my job. We spent over 5 million on one and got rebated down almost 1 million as well as yearly service fees after I discovered serious flaws in their code that would not deliver what they promised.

BMWNA did not deliver what they promised and it has been going on for over a year.

#95 · (Edited)
That's what it is coming down to: Everybody knows there is a problem. BMW admits there is a problem. BMW service people admit there is a problem. BMW, through that V person, is well aware of people's frustrations and what is going on with the defect. BMW is aware of the poll on this site that shows a 70% problem rate. BMW is taking back some of the worst one and stalling off the others while furiously working on a software fix. After all, this is not a hardware problem it is a software communication problem. how difficult is that to fix? Besides, as far as we know there have been no accidents even though some here have complained of close calls.

The best fix would be for BMW to make some public acknowledgement of the problem and a timetable for a fix and what will be done to satisfy customers if they are unable to come up with a patch that works.

#97 ·
what BMW need to do to the current problem with X3 Boxes :

1. Provide free UPGRADE to 6 Sp Manual Box to all 07 X3
OR
2. FREE Downgrade to 5 sp box as used in pre-07 series

and That's it

"Executive decision"

#98 ·
My 07 X3 has been shifting abrubtly since I bought it in late 06.
I just had it in for a software upgrade yesterday and now it is dead.
The new software diagnosic program that came in last week is not compatible with my car for some reason and BMW says it will have a fix at the end of this mont.

WTF?

#101 ·
"Dead?" Do you mean dead as in not working at all?

#99 ·
Shikem - That is terrible. It's also distressing news for those others of us who have gone through the upgrade(s) and/or reprogramming(s) and still are left with hesitation and or abrupt/rough shifting. I bought mine in early '07 - my recollection was that it was built in August 2006.

What was the build date for yours?

#102 ·
Apparantly there is something wrong with the new update that was released last week.
When they try and program my DME it stops half way.
They now are asking that we send my DME to NJ and that they will have it back next week.
They also claim that they will fix the rough shift issue I have had.

#104 ·
Do they test anything before releasing it to the public?

This is unbelievable.

Thanks, I was actually inquiring about this update to CS.

No wonder why they have yet to reply.

#105 ·
CAREFUL: Rant Ahead

Our X3 went in this morning to get the radio replaced. I had also communicated with my SA about the AT issue again. I received a call from the Service Manager yesterday saying his 2007 X3 has shifting issues but thats just how they are. He told me they had done a recent software update on another X3 and the accelerator lag we sometimes experience became horribly jerky and did I really want that?

He also said to me that the reason "I' am experiencing the AT issues is that I do not drive the car enough (its my wifes) and that it has not learned how I drive. I told him it happens with my wife as well.

My whole experience with BMW has been disappointing. The first dealership we went to had one X3 left on the lot and the salesman told us they would not be getting anymore as the exchange rate with the dollar made it unprofitable for BMW to sell them in the US. Next dealership we went to had a few but only one we liked, a loaded 2007 demo. They were reluctant to deal on the price and horribly low balled us on a trade in for a Porsche. When I told them the trade in offer was not enough the salesman pulled that "let me go talk to my manager" and came back, sat down and took out his BIG RED PEN and struck through the original trade in offer and offered us $400 more. Here I am trading in a $28k car, buying a $45k car and they offer me $400? I felt like shoving that piece of paper up his....nose. I was so insulted I didn't even say anything and got up and walked out.

We went back to the first dealership and looked at the ONE they had on the lot. It had everything my wife wanted so we negotiated a decent deal. Just as we signed on the dotted line to finalize the deal, they pulled a brand new X3 on to the showroom floor. We were dealing with a different salesman than the one that gave us the "dollar exchange rate" run around so I asked him, I thought you were not getting any more? He said "who told you that?. We just got a shipment of 10."

Within 30 days our X3 was in the shop with a radio problem and the AT issues that are documented here. I sent an email to my salesman so he could have an idea of what was going on and he passed it along to service. When I went to drop the car off, the service adviser never got up from behind his desk, never introduced himself and said I have your email so we know what to work on. I was very put off by this attitude. I have been a life long Porsche owner and I guess I am used to the service I get from them. When I pull my Porsche in for service the SA comes out and greets me by NAME.

So our X3 goes into service. The loaner I am given is dirty with something spilled all over the seat and has no gas so the first thing I have to do is stop at a gas station. The X3 is in the shop for about 3 days and they call me and tell me they can not replicate the radio issue. I show up that evening to get the car and the technician walks out to the car with me and wouldn't you know it, the radio doesn't work. So they keep it for another few days while waiting for BMW to tell them what to do. Finally they get permission to replace the radio but one can not be found. We go back and pick up the X3 and am told that the SA will call me when the radio comes in. In the meantime I get the service survey from BMW and I do not give them all that good a rating. Subsequently I get a call from my SA asking why I told BMW he was rude and if I would call him to discuss. I try several times to return his phone call but I am continually transferred into his voice mail. So finally I write him an email outlining my service experience, telling him that he never came out from behind his desk and that while I did not describe this as rude I did not think it was good customer service. Another 30 day or so go by and I never hear from my SA about the radio. I try calling, leaving messages again on his voice mail and no return phone call. Finally I send an email to email and cc my salesman. The sales guy returns my email saying the radio is in and I need to contact service to get the appointment scheduled. DUH! Since the SA obviously has a hard on about me now I turn this over to my wife who gets the appointment scheduled (which is today).

I was better treated by the folks that service my $14k Scion. Maybe my expectations are out of line but when you buy a luxury car you expect better.

#106 ·
Our X3 went in this morning to get the radio replaced. I had also communicated with my SA about the AT issue again. I received a call from the Service Manager yesterday saying his 2007 X3 has shifting issues but thats just how they are. He told me they had done a recent software update on another X3 and the accelerator lag we sometimes experience became horribly jerky and did I really want that?

I was better treated by the folks that service my $14k Scion. Maybe my expectations are out of line but when you buy a luxury car you expect better.
DC area BMW service tends to be on the wrong side of subpar. There's a reason I drive 45min to a Baltimore area dealership for service. (I was pleasantly surprised when they gave us a brand new X3 loaner, with 5 mi on the clock)

There little I can help you with regarding the transmission problem. I can suggest changing your driving style a bit to put it more in line with how the transmission functions (it does not function like most ATs out there). Be a bit more gradual with your right foot under normal circumstances. If you really do need to gain speed quickly, forget dipping your foot down 50% or 75% and just use the kickdown.

#107 ·
Thats terrible Vii Ball. There are really good dealers, and there are bad ones. This happens with any dealer. ITs crazy but here where I live the toyota dealer (scion) is terrible! The guy that owns it though is a real jerk.

The BMW dealer here is pretty good. The SA always remembers my name, and they give you coffee and bagels, and one time they bought me lunch. Our dealer here is owned by sonic automotive, BUT Im not sure how this affects things because they own the Honda dealer as well and Ive heard terrible things about that place. So I guess its just a crap shoot....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.