Thread: 540 caught fire
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Neverending Top End!

Mein Auto: 1998 540i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer540ia View Post
BMW of North America sent an engineer to look at my car and the damages. They determined that the thermostat failed and caused a short in the electrical wiring. BMW claims that if I brought my car in for regular 'unscheduled' maintenance that they would have caught the wire aging and replaced it. Let me remind you that the wiring harnes and labor is about $1,500.00 not that I think my wiring harness would goto crap in 7 years! BMW seemed to learn something from this and are looking at ways to improve future models so this does not happen with newer models. Not much they can do for us. So my word of caution to all BMW owners; Do no rely on your car telling you to take it in for service! I always brought mine in when a check engine light came on, or it needed an oil change. This is not the case with BMW. You need to just bring it in so many miles to have a look by BMW. I can guarantee that anytime yuo do bring it in they WILL find something to replace and most likely it will cost you over $1k.

I must say BMW did offer me a favorable settlement for the damages, which I can't talk about but they did free my mind about buying another BMW in my future.

Take Care and Safe Cruising!
Beemer...
Glad to hear BMW NA got involve and assisted you. I was satisfied with my insurance result of my 540 car fire. I'm still curious to know if my fire started the same way yours did. My insurance evaluator was not required to evaluate the cause of the fire. Maybe I should of called BMWNA for their evaluation. I just hope this doesn't become a common fault for all E39s. I'm still planning to get another one in the near future. We'll see! Good luck on your next BMW.
98' 540i6 Sports, Jet Black on black, Nav with DSP, Dinan CAI/Stage II software, Hella Celis projectors and clear tail lights, UUC SSK, CDV delete, Racing Dynamics exhaust, Mtech lip, Hamann wheels (19X8.5 fronts/19X10 rears), UHP General Tires (245/35 19W fronts/275/30 19W rears), Rogue Engineering tranny mounts, Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs (1" drop rears/1.5 drop fronts), Stop Tech stainless steel brake lines