View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 08:05 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
Quote:
How about a DIY about replacing and adjusting a hand brake? Than you can incorporate it into the whole brake job DIY
I'm not sure about "replacing" a hand brake (how many times does one do that?) but certainly adjusting the hand brake should be part of every rear rotor replacement. Of course, from the DIYs I read, most of you guys don't adjust the hand brake. You just put the rotors on.

Assuming the parking-brake drums have worn, all you lose is 30 thousandths of an inch (or so) in travel. So, in hind sight, I wish I had NOT taken the advice of the Bentleys and adjusted the parking brake myself. Now, for example, my parking brake locks up at the very first notch!
I'll have to adjust that in the cables and in the shoes; and you can bet I'll take pics of every step.

I first have the more important brake DIY to write up (if I ever get to it which I hope I do). Plus, at the moment, my major concern shifted to why the interior heating/cooling fan suddenly stopped working. I'm pretty sure it's related to the brake job. And, especially since I had a devil of a time getting the air-cleaner back together over the master cylinder ... I suspect there's a fan wire near there which is now kaput.

Do you know if the fan wires route near that horrid air-cleaner contraption?

Quote:
what rotors and pads did you end up buying, and from where?
I don't race. I don't drive erratically. I don't do twisties. I don't do anything that everyone else doesn't do ... so I went pure stock (I think you call that OE) using ATE rotors. Then I went OEM on the Jurid & Textar pads. BMW OEM on the sensors.

The only thing that isn't "stock" is the ATE Super Blue brake fluid which is waiting for the black label power bleeders and power extractors to arrive.

Do others agree that the brake sensor-to-harness connector should be the FIRST item put back (instead of the last) when doing the rear brakes?

Here is what the rear looked like when (almost) done; i.e., just before the last (damn) connection.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bluebee_ate_brakes_rear_done.jpg
Views:	6158
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	141300   Click image for larger version

Name:	bluebee_ate_brakes.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	141301  

Last edited by bluebee; 03-26-2008 at 08:11 AM.