View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008, 11:45 PM
I hate doing dishes

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i
Ready... Set... GO!

When I took delivery my X3 in July of '05 I did not notice any problems at all. Within the first 1,000 miles I had ONE episode accelerating from a stop trying to cross traffic while making a left-hand turn. I hit the gas and it started to go and then just seemed to die. It didn't die but I hit the brakes and waited for traffic to pass. I think it was the "2nd to 1st" downshift delay problem (what a lot of complainers like to call "hesitation") but it has NEVER HAPPENED AGAIN. I attribute it to the software's learning capability.

The only other problem I've had is the "holding 3rd gear too long after an uphill start". It was mostly happening in the first 10,000 miles. This too has all but disappeared. I think it has done it ONCE in the last YEAR and I now have about 22K on the clock. I have never had ANY updates or reprogramming done for the trans since day one and am perfectly happy with it's performance.

Something I think a LOT of people don't realize is that the software is designed to yeild the best gas mileage possible but will also adjust itself to suit an individuals unique driving style. That takes some time for it to adjust and every time a person has the software updated the process starts ALL OVER AGAIN!

The only real gripe I have with the trans is that it takes too long to apply a downshift when in manual mode. Makes me have to plan ahead about 3-5 seconds more than I would if I had a manual. It may not seem like much but I've driven manuals for over 20 years and can probably perform a downshift in 3/10s of a second.