View Single Post
Old 03-28-2008, 12:46 AM
I hate doing dishes

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by datawx View Post
I believe the learning process is not a protracted period of time. Say 600 to 1000 miles. My egg shaped wheel feeling only happens under low load kick downs never if I'm flooring the throttle. When i starts i can hold it there as long as i like or the road permits.

The dealer has over the last two days checked a bunch of things and replace the air filter and the main brain relay. It's better but still noticeable.

We just want it fixed and get back to beautiful purrrrrring motoring.
To my knowledge the "learning process" is continuous. How long have you had your '05 and how many miles are on it? Have you ever had the trans software updated? BMW does have a SIB for the "holding 3rd gear too long" thing for the 2004-5 models.

What do you mean by the "egg-shaped wheel" feeling? I suspect you're feeling the "2nd-1st-2nd" gear changes. The X3's auto trans is programmed to start in 2nd gear when in the drive mode to save gas. On an uphill start or just the right throttle percentage it will downshift to first until sufficient speed is attained at that particular throttle setting to shift to 2nd again. Many people perceive this to be hesitation.