Thread: 135 vs EVO
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstock View Post
I am a masochist. Any sports car should punish you to some point. Lotus Elise. Unfortunately those with the money for a very fast sports car want all the nice bits and pieces. I think there is a market for a mid 20k's lightweight sports car. No need for anything beside cloth, rwd, 2600lbs, and 200hp. This car will never ever come out of Germany. More likely Japanese or German.
Why not go all the way? The mid-engined roadster in my signature should be about 650kg (1450 lbs) with 200bhp when I get round to completing it. The Elise has also been bloated over the years, ballooning from just over 700kg for the original S1 to 900kg for the current incarnation. I put in an offer on a clearance 2007 Elise for close to the same price I bought my new 2007 Z4M Roadster for, wasn't accepted, so the Z4M ended up being cheaper. The Elise 190 actually rides very similarly to a Z4M, possibly a little softer, has similar acceleration, but is slower around most tracks. It is a bit noisier (Z4M is not quiet, though). The Elise has better steering feel, but is less forgiving in handling on the limit and can't do power slides nearly as well as the Z4M can.

All in all the Z4M and Elise 190 are close in performance, similar punishing suspension, similar track times, similar ground clearance (diagonal over most speed bumps is recommended). Both are real sports cars, both to me are daily drivers and would both be driven in the snow too with winter tyres (my Z4M has excellent snow traction due to the ///M diff, but it does push snow with the front spoiler).