Thread: 135 vs EVO
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i coupe, Mazdaspeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc View Post
Why not go all the way? The mid-engined roadster in my signature should be about 650kg (1450 lbs) with 200bhp when I get round to completing it. The Elise has also been bloated over the years, ballooning from just over 700kg for the original S1 to 900kg for the current incarnation. I put in an offer on a clearance 2007 Elise for close to the same price I bought my new 2007 Z4M Roadster for, wasn't accepted, so the Z4M ended up being cheaper. The Elise 190 actually rides very similarly to a Z4M, possibly a little softer, has similar acceleration, but is slower around most tracks. It is a bit noisier (Z4M is not quiet, though). The Elise has better steering feel, but is less forgiving in handling on the limit and can't do power slides nearly as well as the Z4M can.

All in all the Z4M and Elise 190 are close in performance, similar punishing suspension, similar track times, similar ground clearance (diagonal over most speed bumps is recommended). Both are real sports cars, both to me are daily drivers and would both be driven in the snow too with winter tyres (my Z4M has excellent snow traction due to the ///M diff, but it does push snow with the front spoiler).
I haven't driven a Z4M coupe, just the roadster so I am not sure which you have. The car is like an old muscle car in that it has ridiculous power and can quickly kill you if you aren't aware of what is happening. It is definitely something i would look into buying used eventually. I came close to getting a few Z3Ms with the same engine but never really liked the look. The Z4m has grown on me much more.

The only thing is that I like the Elise powerband and that frentic cam at the top of the revs. I like taking an engine way out to redline and in the Z4M the gearing is setup for the autobahn in that you run out of road before power. I also like the spartan interior and tiny wheel that makes you muscle it. In the Elise you never forget you are in a balls to the wall sports car. The Z4M can take it easy. That is very good but when I am in racing mode (on a track) I like the directness of the Elise. To each his own.

That being said I do not YET own one but it is only a matter of time. It is either the Elise or build myself a Lotus 7 clone from a miata. A buddy has one and it is beyond words. Being able to watch your suspension is a giddy thrill.

What is the car you are building going to be eventually?