Thread: 135 vs EVO
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstock View Post
335 with montego blue, leather, sport package = 39.7k ED (45K MSRP)
135 with montego blue, leather, power seats, sport package = 37k ED (39.5K MSRP)

Those are actual quoted prices from this week. Less than 3k in real world.

Dimensionally the backseat is not very different but the layout is much better in the 3 series. There is a deeper scoop so you have more headroom and your knees don't contact the front seat. With the front seat passenger knee's touching the dash the backseat passengers were also jammed against the back. There are tradeoffs in turning a 3 door hatch into a coupe in both packaging and styling. You also lose the center armrest and instead BMW gives you a piece of foam that simply falls out and lays worthlessly between the seats.

I am not "pulling at straws" since these are all valid arguments against spending nearly 40k on a small 4 seater. If you ignore the BMW badge then you can get several cars that can offers 90% of the 1 series experience at 60-70% of the price. There is a reason that BMW is only bring over 10k cars and it isn't because the 1 series is going to be a runaway success. More like a minimal flop. And the worst thing is with exchange rates like they are BMW probably only makes a pittance on each one.
Like I said, the difference is $5-6k - negotiated discounts mean nothing, not everyone is going to your dealership and your salesman (if your numbers are even real).

It is kind of fun to shoot down every one of your points though.