Thread: 135 vs EVO
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needagarage View Post
I haven't driven a Z4M coupe, just the roadster so I am not sure which you have. The car is like an old muscle car in that it has ridiculous power and can quickly kill you if you aren't aware of what is happening. It is definitely something i would look into buying used eventually. I came close to getting a few Z3Ms with the same engine but never really liked the look. The Z4m has grown on me much more.

The only thing is that I like the Elise powerband and that frentic cam at the top of the revs. I like taking an engine way out to redline and in the Z4M the gearing is setup for the autobahn in that you run out of road before power. I also like the spartan interior and tiny wheel that makes you muscle it. In the Elise you never forget you are in a balls to the wall sports car. The Z4M can take it easy. That is very good but when I am in racing mode (on a track) I like the directness of the Elise. To each his own.

That being said I do not YET own one but it is only a matter of time. It is either the Elise or build myself a Lotus 7 clone from a miata. A buddy has one and it is beyond words. Being able to watch your suspension is a giddy thrill.

What is the car you are building going to be eventually?
I was close to getting the Elise, as it was a coin toss between the Elise and the Z4M, but the nearest Lotus dealer is 1000km away (although they do send techs out for service every couple of months to Calgary). I also was finding it difficult to find the right size in winter tyres and wheels for the Elise (although the Z4M was difficult too).

In the end, the Elise was also getting a little close to the project car.

The project car is actually an all aluminium mid-engined roadster of my own design. It uses a 1995 Mazda MX-3 1.8L V6 drivetrain (only 35,000km on it) to drive the rear wheels in a mid-engined layout, I plan to add an Eaton supercharger to push it to 200bhp. The structure is all Al 6061-T6 welded tubing with Al 5052-O32 sheeting. Took me about 2 years to machine all the suspension components (about 300 pieces), overall the most time consuming part of the project. I haven't done anything on it for about a year due to current time constraints, but it is currently a rolling chassis that I'm part way through plumbing the electrical, cooling and fuel systems, still needs about 300 more hours in this area. After that it will take me about 500 hours to form the body sheet metal over the spaceframe, but hopefully this summer I can free up 50 hours or so a month to continue the work.