View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I went with a slight mod to the process.

I used a paper hole punch to cut out small circles of 2000 grit 3M wet-sand paper. I then used some contact cement to glue the circles to new pencil erasers. This gives a nice smooth flat sanding surface on the end of the pencil.

I followed the surface prep steps before applying paint using the sanding pencil and cleaning afterwards with a cue-tip and alcohol.

I applied small amounts of base paint to the rock chip using the tip of a jeweler's screwdriver (Jeweler screwdrivers come in sets of 5 or 6 sizes and are perfect for applying precise amounts of paint into the nicks or scratches). I applied 3 or 4 coats of base (applied 10 to 15 minutes apart) to help fill in the rock chip depression.

After the base paint was dry (overnight), I used the sanding pencil (dipped in water of course) to carefuly smooth out the surface around the nick - removing the excess paint that was on the clear coat, but leaving the base paint in the nick.

Cleaned up using alcohol and cue-tip, then applied clear coat into the nick and barely into the surrounding clear coat. Once the nick was fully filled in with paint and clear coat and thoroughly dry, I followed up with a little more sanding and buffing with polish to smooth out the surface.

Finally, applied a good paint sealer.